Join us out in the wild!
Please note: All 2020 hikes are canceled due to Covid-19 precautions
MWA has led Wilderness Walks every year since 1960 as a way to connect our supporters with Montana’s wildlands. So it was with a heavy heart that we decided to cancel the remainder of the 2020 Wilderness Walks season. We felt compelled to do this to help keep our Wilderness Walks leaders and participants safe and healthy during this recent spike in Covid-19 cases in Montana.
If you’ve already signed up for a hike or were thinking of doing so, be sure to visit Hike Wild Montana to see what hikes you might be able to do on your own. And here are some tips for getting out on public lands during this tough time.
We appreciate your support and hope you can join us for next year’s Wilderness Walks.
Find a Wilderness Walk in your region
How to sign up
When does Wilderness Walks registration occur this year?
As of July 22, 2020, all Wilderness Walks are canceled for the 2020 season.
You can still find the 2020 hikes in the Discover Wild Montana trail book if you'd like to explore them this summer.
How do I sign up for a Wilderness Walk?
To get started, follow these instructions:
- Click on one of the regions above to explore what Wilderness Walks are available near you.
- Pick the walk that you wish to attend based on your experience and capability. This is incredibly important as our volunteer Walks leaders are trusted to ensure that all of our attendees are safe and hiking within their capability. Ensure that the Walk hasn't been canceled, as well.
- Once you pick your walk(s), click the red “Register for Walk" button. You will be redirected to our online registration page in Eventbrite.
- To access members-only early registration on May 4 (early season) and June 29 (late season), please use the password provided in the Discover Wild Montana trail book or the follow-up emails that will be sent in the weeks leading up the sign-up dates.
- For non-members, registration will be on May 7 (early season) and July 2 (late season).
- Complete the registration form for your chosen hike. If you are registering for other family members and friends, you will need to fill out information for each participant.
- Please note: You can register family and friends, but all participants will be required to fill out the liability waiver as they sign up and answer additional questions about their experience.
- You’ll receive an email confirmation after signing up for your hike.
- If you have any questions about the hike or you need to cancel, please contact the Walk leader directly as soon as possible so they can reassign your spot.
- If you have any questions about this process, please contact Mike Rooney at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What happens if a hike is full?
Each Wilderness Walk has a participant limit to guarantee a quiet experience, protect fragile wildlands, and comply with the guidelines of the managing land agency. If your selected hike is full, you will have the opportunity to sign up for the waitlist. If a spot becomes available, the walk leader will contact you. If you don’t hear from the leader, please understand that the hike is full.
What if I need to cancel my reservation?
If you need to cancel your registration, please contact the walk leader directly and as soon as possible.