Join us out in the wild!
Our Wilderness Walks give you the chance to explore a new corner of Montana with our volunteer Walk leaders
When you join us for a Wilderness Walks, you're bound to discover something new – views to the horizon, knowledge about grizzly bears, animal tracks, trail maintenance, and friends who love the outdoors just as much as you do.
We look forward to seeing you out in the snow!
Find Walk in your region
How to sign up
When does Wilderness Walks registration occur this year?
Walks registration is divided into early (May 16 to July 15) and late (July 17 to September 29) seasons. Each season will have a separate registration period, and members will receive early registration privileges.
For members: Early-season online registration for MWA members begins on Monday, May 4th. Late-season registration begins on Monday, June 29th.
For the general public: Early-season registration for the general public begins on Thursday, May 7th. Late-season registration begins on Thursday, July 2nd.
In the Discover Wild Montana trail book, all early-season hikes are marked with an E; late-season hikes are marked with an L.
How do I sign up for a Wilderness Walk?
To get started, follow these instructions:
- Click on one of the regions above to explore what Walks are available near you.
- Pick the Walk that you wish to attend based on your experience and capability. This is incredibly important as our volunteer Walks leaders are trusted to ensure that all of our attendees are safe and hiking within their capability.
- Once you pick your Walk(s), click the red “Register for Walk" button. You will be redirected to our online registration page in Eventbrite.
- To access members-only early registration on May 4th (Early Season) and June 29th (Late Season), please use the password provided in the Discover Wild Montana trail book or the follow-up emails that will be sent in the weeks leading up the sign-up dates.
- For non-members, registration will be on May 7th (Early Season) and July 2nd (Late Season).
- Complete the registration form for your chosen hike. If you are registering for other family members and friends, you will need to fill out information for each participant.
- Please note: You can register family and friends, but all participants will be required to fill out the liability waiver as they sign up and answer additional questions about their experience.
- You’ll receive an email confirmation after signing up for your hike.
- If you have any questions about the hike or you need to cancel, please contact the Walk leader directly as soon as possible so they can reassign your spot.
- If you have any questions about this process, please contact Mike Rooney at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What happens if a hike is full?
Each Walk has a participant limit to guarantee a quiet experience, protect fragile wildlands, and comply with the guidelines of the managing land agency. If your selected hike is full, you will have the opportunity to sign up for the waitlist. If a spot becomes available, the Walk leader will contact you. If you don’t hear from the leader, please understand that the hike is full.
What if I need to cancel my reservation?
If you need to cancel your registration, please contact the Walk leader directly and as soon as possible.