Day-Long Trail Projects Near Bozeman & Livingston
Who We Are and What We Do
In 2018, Montana Wilderness Association's Madison-Gallatin Chapter launched a new, grassroots-driven stewardship initiative. MWA chapter members and local trail-loving allies teamed up to help the U.S. Forest Service address trail maintenance needs in the Hyalite Porcupine Buffalo-Horn Wilderness Study Area and the Lee Metcalf Wilderness. The Adopt-A-Trail Crew cleared downfall, installed drainage features and brushed trail corridor on the Lava Lake and Cliff Creek trails. They continued their efforts in 2019 to great success. The last two years, 87 volunteers contributed 656 hours of service to the trails we all love to hike and ride.
This community of volunteers understands trails are integral to our way of life. Whether trails are at risk of being loved to death (Lava Lake/Beehive Basin) or falling off the map due to backlogged maintenance (Cliff Creek), we can all pitch in to make a difference. Not only is this work rewarding, it is a ton of fun. The Adopt-A-Trail Crew is filled with passionate, kind-hearted people who make for great company on the trail. They work to help preserve access to some of Montana's most beautiful landscapes.
How To Join the Crew
Interested in joining the Adopt-A-Trail Crew? There are a slew of exciting trail projects lined up for 2020! Trips are free to join. Here's how to get involved:
- Contact the Adopt-A-Trail Crew coordinators for Madison-Gallatin Chapter to let them know you are interested. Do not show up to the trailhead unannounced – all volunteers must be cleared ahead of time.
- Email the coordinating team at MGAdoptatrail@gmail.com
- Be honest about your ability level. Trail work rookies are welcome, but know the work is physically demanding. Consult with the Adopt-A-Trail Crew coordinator to make sure you will be a good fit for a project.
- If you plan to join a project, follow through on your commitment.
- If something comes up and you can no longer join, please give your trail captian plenty of notice. Crew sizes are limited so we often have waiting lists for projects.
2020 Adopt-A-Trail Crew Projects
|May 30||Lava Lake Trail||Lee Metcalf Wilderness|
|June 6||Cliff Creek||Hyalite Porcupine Buffalo Horn WSA|
|September 12||Beehive Basin||Lee Metcalf Wilderness|
|September 13||Cliff Creek||Hyalite Porcupine Buffalo Horn WSA|
Note: All projects are subject to change. Please make sure you are in touch with your Trail Captain before the trip to ensure you have up-to-date logistical info.